1929: The Dutch Postal Museum
Collector Pieter Waller donates his philatelic and posthistorical collection to the Dutch State, provided that a Postal Museum is established by the State. On 18 May 1929, the Dutch Post Museum is established by law. Unlike the name suggests, it is a museum about the history of post, philately (the collection and study of stamps and related matters), telegraphy and telephony.
1989 – 1998: PTT Museum
The name changes to PTT Museum to do more justice to the collections and the bond with the PTT company.
1999 – 2019: Museum for Communication COMM
The splitting in 1998 of Royal PTT Nederland NV (KPN) into a telecommunication company, KPN Telecom and a logistics and distribution company TNT Post Group is reason enough to privatize the museum. This will continue from 1999 under the name Museum for Communication.
2019-present – Sound and Vision The Hague
In july 2019 Sound and Vision and COMM – Museum for communication started a collaboration. Sound and Vision The Hague is born.
The building at Zeestraat 82 has a rich history. In 1781 a beautiful country house was built at the Zeestraat (then called Scheveningseweg). At the beginning of the 19th century there was a place on this location under the name ‘Duin & Veltzigt’. In the beautiful garden behind the recreation concerts were given and there was a kolfbaan. In 1839 the complex was sold after which King William II bought the whole in 1841. King William II appointed the court supplier Dirk Boer, who had a ‘Japanese Warehouse’ on the Square, the opportunity to open a Bazar in one of the buildings: the Grand Royal Bazar. When the king died in 1849, the heirs sold the premises of the Bazar to owner Dirk Boer. The Bazar was almost completely free at that time, but at the end of the 19th century the façade was part of a row of stately buildings and the façade was adapted to the street scene.
If the Bazar closes its doors in 1927, PTT services will be housed since 1930, such as the administration of the telephone collection; the TICO. The Central Board of PTT has been around the corner since 1923, in two large buildings on the Kortenaerkade. The Postal Museum is also located there in a few rooms, but since the commissioning, the building on the Kortenaerkade is actually too small. From the thirties onwards, a museum building was actively looked after and after the Second World War it was decided that the Postmuseum would establish itself in the ‘old Bazar’ from 1948 onwards.
The Bazar is demolished in 1951, only the façade remains. Behind the façade, a new museum complex will arise in which buildings on Bazarstraat 1a, 9 and 11 are also involved. This building was demolished in 1979 to make way for a new contemporary museum building with an underground depot.
In 1991, the Royal PTT buys the adjacent Theosophy Temple (built in 1916 by K.P.C. de Bazel) for the Museum for Communication. The temple building is being converted into a museum building and many exhibitions can be seen.
In this beautiful, monumental part, you will find the large event hall, a number of smaller meeting rooms and boardrooms.